Sr Retail Mortgage Underwriter
American Mortgage Network is urgently seeking a seasoned Senior Mortgage underwriter with 5 years of experience underwriting Conventional and VA loans. American Mortgage Network is a 100% employee owned mortgage company. You can be an owner and have an opportunity for a great retirement plan.
As a member of our Retail Underwriting team, will be responsible for underwriting residential loans for our Retail department ensuring compliance with appropriate company, secondary market investor standards and all applicable laws. The Underwriter will be responsible for examining loan documentation for accuracy and completeness. Must be able to underwrite loans within the company and industry guidelines. The Underwriter will also be working with Loan Officers, Processors and Closers to secure all required documents.
Essential Job Functions:
- Underwrites loans in accordance with investor or agency guidelines
- Reworks loans to new terms, identifies additional conditions as needed to insure a viable credit decision
- Reviews and evaluates borrower(s) profile including but not limited to all income documentation, tax returns, credit reports, preliminary report, judgments, bankruptcy documents and appraisals
- Analyzes and calculates income documentation such as personal and business income statements and ensures all necessary documentation is requested to support final loan decisions
- Exercises good judgment, conducts reasonableness tests and issues quality decisions
- Determines accuracy and completeness of files; ensures processes are consistent
- Demonstrates proficiency in automated underwriting systems (DU, LP)
- Maintains a sound knowledge of secondary market activity, practices, and business/industry practices as they impact underwriting quality and origination activity
- Maintains pre-established service level standard of decisions within a time frame set by the company
- Communicates regularly with sales team, processors and management
- Assists in the preparation of repurchase responses and/or rebuttal reviews
- Ability to function in a fast paced ever-changing environment.
Qualifications:To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions of the job.
- VA SAR required with 5 years underwriting VA loans
- Appraisal review and tax return analysis skills required
- Experience with repurchase response and/or rebuttal review and response preparation
- Secondary market experience a plus
- Understanding of TRID, RESPA and Predatory Lending
- Strong analytical and decision making/problem solving skills
- Possess a keen eye for accuracy, attention to detail and ability to handle a high volume work load
- Excellent interpersonal, organizational, prioritization and time management skills
- Proficient in computers including LOS systems, Microsoft Office and Excel. Ability to adapt/ learn/utilize multiple software programs. Experience with paperless environment preferred.
- Ability to type/use a keyboard with sufficient speed and accuracy to meet job demand
- Ability to deliver effective results and to meet deadlines with minimal supervision
- Self-starter, adapt to a changing environment and have the ability to communicate and work well with Investors and co-workers
- Possess clear, concise and effective written and oral communication skills
- Professional demeanor in appearance, interpersonal relations, work ethic and attitude
Education and/or Experience:
- Minimum 5 years of current front-line mortgage VA and Conventional Underwriting experience required
- VA SAR approved
American Mortgage Network team members enjoy excellent benefits, perks, business casual dress, training, development and career opportunities.
American Mortgage Network is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to workforce diversity. Qualified applicants will receive consideration without regard to age, race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, or their status as a protected veteran or an individual with disabilities. Local applicants encouraged to apply. Employment contingent upon successful completion of background investigation. Drug-free work environment. Excellent benefits package including medical, dental and vision along with the ESOP Retirement benefits. All resumes are held in confidence. Equal Opportunity Employer- Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans.